November 25, 2008

Thief

On Sunday after church, we came home to our back door broken. It was a thief. And they did take stuff. Oh no, have they found my stash of horribly expensive jewelry?! Have they found the vault of original paintings?! What about the safe of unmarked bills? Why would a thief come to our house? Well he took Paul's back pack, but threw out his scrubs. (Thank goodness or Paul would have to go to work naked. Last time that happened it didn't go over too well.) In the back pack was Paul's favorite $40 ICU book. The thief also took our Wii, one controller, and our bluetooth on the printer. We called the cops, made a report, put cardboard over the door, and then went to our friend's house for dinner. Next day I got more educated about home insurance, called a few handy-man businesses, a guy came out, and we determined that I could do it myself.


So I unscrewed the insert, which made a HUGE mess. Sweep, unscrew, sweep, unscrew. Cover empty hole with cardboard. Drive down to pick up new glass for $68 - I thought that was a great deal!
Unfortunately you have to have someone hold the glass on the outside when you screw in from the inside, or else I could say that I did this job completely without my husband's help. And wouldn't you know, even though I did all that work beautifully by myself, he was still coaching me on how to screw in properly. Anyway, due to his wonderful input, our new door looks great.Here's all the glass. Kinda pretty.
So, the good news is, they caught the guy who did it. Apparently, later that day the kid stole a suburban, while the owner was watching. The owner jumped in his brother's car and chased the thief down, crashed into him, pulled him out of his car, punched him and called the police. Well the police found that he had a backpack with a Wii in it. So we got our Wii and controller and backpack back, but the ICU book and bluetooth are gone forever. Paul went to court to testify today and he'll be locked up for 6 months. The kid was only 17. The cops say he does this stuff all the time and needs to learn his lesson. Crime doesn't pay. So remember that next time you want somebody else's Wii.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

That's freakin' scary! Even if he only took a Wii, a book, a backpack, and a printer bluetooth. I'm glad that you got a few of your things back and got a good deal on some new glass for your door. :) Little creep anyhow.

Melissa said...

Crazy! I can't believe the cops know that he "does this stuff all the time" and this is the first time they're putting him in jail! I'm glad that caught him!

Aby Runyan said...

Wow you must have an AWESOME justice system there in, uh where do you live again? Seriously, I'm having a brain freeze.
Here in KC they pretty much pick em up and have em out on the street that same night. And they can be pretty serious offenders. It's messed up. I can't believe the guys Jeff will tell me about that never do any time.
That's amazing that you were able to get even some of your stuff back - that NEVER happens!
luvs, aby

PS - We got robbed in Maryland when we were ALL home. I even saw the burgler (a woman) and thought she was a friend of my mom's. She walked right past me, down the steps and out the front door. My mom ended up taking off after her, but to no avail. She actually did find my mom's jewelry stash but luckily only grabbed mostly costume stuff and didn't see her VERY valuable diamond engagement ring that was right there!

Emily said...

seriously! people have real issues! I'm gad you got your wi back that would be a total shame. I hope he learned his lesson, and if not maybe he atleast won't be so stupid!!

The Lewis Family said...

That is awful! But I'm glad that no one got hurt and that you guys got some of your stuff back...

Brady + Marsha said...

Good job on the door! Sorry about the break in. Sadly, I know how that feels. Good think he was an idiot so you could at least get your wii back.