August 27, 2008

Anniversary

Paul and I had our 5 year anniversary. It was one of the better ones. We do a big breakfast on our anniversary for two reasons: 1. I love love love delicious breakfast and search for excuses to have them, 2. Paul asked me to marry him in the morning and we had breakfast afterward. I know, I know, reason number 1 is more romantic. We had toasted sourdough orange craisin bread with your choice of honey or brown sugar-cinnamon cream cheese, grilled plums with spiced walnut yogurt sauce, basil scrambled eggs, and blueberry lemonade. No wonder Paul married me.

He bought me bouquets of 5 different flowers. He's a charmer. Here are the ones on our table.


Paul and I wanted to do something great for our date out. We have very different dating styles so we compromised on a two part date - 1 part scavenger hunt, 1 part movie.
We scavenged at the mall for:
  • the ugliest shirt
  • the best tie
  • the best perfume
  • the best makeout spot
Here are the results...... Ugliest Shirt

Except Paul somehow still looks hot in it. We found another shirt that I thought was possibly uglier with a pink skull and gold shimmering teeth on it for over $100, but Paul thought it was cool, so he vetoed it as an ugly shirt. But he does wear WEEKLY (washed it in the laundry every week for 5 years) an old blue T-shirt -now paint spattered- that his brother Bob got at youth conference at least 14 years ago with a tiny temple on the front and above it the words 'Beyond This Moment'. He will not let me throw it out.

Best Tie

We disagreed on which ones were best and neither could narrow it to one, so we each chose two. I'd appreciate your comments on which ties you like best.
Yes, I realize that I look hideous in this picture, but please note that the picture was taken at the mall, and everyone knows that the mall purposefully uses light to make you look fat and ugly in hopes that in a fit of depressed compulsion you'll buy overpriced clothes. Which I did. I'm the proud owner of the red ugly shirt, and I look like a supermodel in it.


Best Perfume


Paul knew all about this perfume. He read a book called 'Emperor of Scent' about a guy who has a heightened sense of smell and has become infatuated with perfume. His book is about perfume. Paul tells me its a good book. I remain unconvinced. Now he takes note of new and famous perfumes. At first I was unimpressed. It smelled too musky for me. But on the second smell I liked it a little more. Then I put it on. The more I wore it the more I liked it. I think it's the best perfume I've ever smelled. Definitely the sexiest. Try it out next time you're at the mall. Beware, you might be thronged by hot Italian guys who can't figure out why you're so mysterious and unattainable. FYI - it's the number one perfume in France.


Best Make-Out Spot

Paul picked the elevator. Though it is private, elevators lack romance, and can be stinky, though ours was not, still a good choice, Paul. My choice was very romantic. Paul agreed.

The chocolate was maybe even better than the 'Dark Knight'.


5 years. 5 good years.

16 comments:

stacey said...

congrats!! 5 years! what a fun date, who did you leave the baby with?? i like the striped tie that you are holding. glad you had a good night. what movie did you see?

Sara said...

Sorry Paul...Alisha chose the better ties! :) What a creative date, by the way.

P.S. Best make-out spot (in my opinion) dressing room. 'Nuf said.

Melissa said...

I LOVE you date! Me and Zac are going to have that date this weekend.

I like the green swirly tie that you're holding. It is really funky and would look awesome with certain suits!

PS the flowers are gorgeous!

Alisha said...

Sara! Spoken like a woman who knows. I'm going to test drive a dressing room next time.

Annie said...

My tie vote is one of each: Paul's pink one and Alisha's green one.

Best make-out spot: Hot Dog on a Stick.

Emily P said...

So Chad bought me that perfume while we were dating. I asked him how he chose it and he said "a lady suggested it" I then asked if one of his old girlfriends wore it and he sheepishly said yes. I didn't want to wear it out of spite but it just smelled too dang awesome. My bottle went fast.

Emily P said...

ps it has chocolate in it

The Lewis Family said...

great way to celebrate 5 years together! I wish I were that creative. And you will have to send me some of those yummy recipies my way. Jonathan would love something new besides cereal for breakfast.

Brenda said...

Congratulations you old, married woman!! 5 years in no small feat even though I'm sure you are married to the most romantic husband ever :) The paisley (or whatever) green tie you are holding is my fav. Glad you had a fabulous anniversary and thanks for inviting all of us along to join the two of you on your date.

McEwen Family said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! 5 years, 3 kids...wow you guys don't mess around! What a fun date! Sorry Paul, I'm going to have to go with Alisha's paisley tie, loved it! A many many more happy anniversaries to both of you!

Blake said...

Couple of criticisms of this very funny post. You keep referring to Paul as "hot" and I still disagree. I haven't smelled this perfume, but all the Italians I know smell like b.o. Alisha picked better ties...sorry, Paul, but we both know you married way out of your league.

Aby Runyan said...

I choose. . .neither set of ties. Sorry. I know, I know, my opinion counts for OH SO MUCH. I do choose the 3 ties laying on the display to the right of Alisha (the 3 in the forefront). Those are pretty sweet, especially the silver one. In fact, I just bought Jeff a silver tie for father's day and he looks extra studly in it.

Hap-Hap-Happy Anniversary!!
luvs, aby

Emily said...

One of my favorite "couple" things about you guys is that you love being together. Doing whatever, but just being together. We love you guys.

Paul, if you were to loose the undershirt, add a few gold chains and unbutton that red shirt a bit you'd be ready for a night of clubbing. Especially with your fancy facial hair.

Alisha, I'm going to go with your tie picks. I'm a big fan of the green paisley. But that might be because it reminds me of my diaper bag. Also, on a totally unrelated to this post comment, I am throughly enjoying "The Red Tent." Thank you, thank you for suggesting something other than "Breaking Dawn." A book that I feel smarter for reading...imagine!

Chemenn said...

So, I've checked out your blog now. Hope you don't mind. These pictures complete the story a bit more. Funny, funny stuff.

Terry said...

Alisha...seriously Terry and I read your menu several times and he told me how awesome it tasted in person and he now dreams of your food. Your menu alone sounded ridiculous amazing. You seriously put me to shame and I am just constantly in awe of your never ending skills. Congrats on five years. Btw, what is the bread book you talked to Terry about.

Alisha said...

The book is "Tassajara Bread book". It is divine. Everything we've tried is good. Every bread lover should have it. I'm now experimenting on baking bread on a pizza stone. Just so you know, we usually have plain jane oatmeal for breakfast, but because Terry is so generous with his praise, it make me really want to wow him.
Also, could you reinvite me to your blog? I'd love to keep up with you guys.