August 23, 2008

Well, I've been waiting until something blogworthy happens in my life, to post. It's been a while since I posted. I have come to the conclusion that my life is pretty mundane. But I'm still happy. I think that's a skill. Being happy with a mundane life. That may be a more useful skill than blogging even. But don't go pitying me, there are occasional colorful bursts of excitement. Like this morning. I had to go to the dreaded stake primary training meeting. I usually go with joy, but this meeting happens to fall on our 5 year anniversary - today. So I went with cranky obedience. I put Maggie in the nursery, and took Lucy with me to the meeting. Of course she got hungry immediately, no problem, get out the trusty feeding blanket. 5 minutes later I feel warm goopiness. Oh no. I take a look. I'm dealing not only with a blowout, but with a nasty puddle of little Lucy BM cupped in my skirt. How do you even manuvre around this kind of a situation. Well, long story short, I got out of the meeting. I figure it was like a little anniversary present from Heavenly Father to me. Unfortunately I'm the one who has to do the laundry involved with the present.
So now I'm home with my two girls asleep, Paul and Axel at a birthday party. And I'm thinking of all I have to do:
clean the kitchen
laundry - 3 loads and I already did 5 loads this week
plan for tomorrows singing time in primary
clean up all the things I threw into the storage part of basement when I cleaned the house for a showing yesterday with 1 hour notice
prep the chicken for Sunday dinner

and all the things on my dream list:
finish the frame I'm making
sew some slings for dear friends
cut out a dress to sew
get a haircut (it's been a while)
do crunches until I get a marathon runner tummy (I keep hoping I don't actually have to run a marathon to get that tummy)
watch an episode of Arrested Development - Paul and I started watching them on hulu
take a nap

With any luck, I'll get two of the things on my have to do list done today. I could probably do more, but I'm choosing to blog right now. I keep thinking if get some sort of awesome system down for the kids they'll be able to practically take care of themselves and I can get all of my chores done on one day - like a preparation day - and then I'll have the other 5 days to devote to my hobbies. So far I have devised many failing systems. I've tried the pretend-your-kids-aren't- there-system. Usually ends in yelling at the kids and I feel guilty. I've tried the pretend-I-don't-have-chores system, which usually ends up in a hungry family and a husband who looks exhausted by the mess in our home. I've tried involving my kids in my hobbies, but that usually ends up in all of the pins stuck in my bed, all my fabric unfolded and thrown around the room (I have A LOT of fabric), me moving all the cans of harmful wood finishing chemicals out of reach so many times it seems as if my job is actually to move cans. I've tried the doing-my-hobbies-only-when-the-kids-are-sleeping, but I can never seem to get all the work done I'm supposed to while they're awake and we get the yelling/guilt conundrum going on again. I have come to the conclusion that perhaps there is no such system and I should instead teach myself to be content with taking care of kids, house, and husband. (Thank goodness we have no pets!) I'm sure as we have more kids, I will have less free time. We want 7. We want 7? Ask me at 5 if we want 7. I think we do. Anyway, I always tell myself, "You can't have kids and then expect them to raise themselves." So I am learning to be happy with the mundane, and I think that is a useful skill. Plus my husband is hilarious and hot and super fun to be with and I love to make his life just as good as he makes mine. And my kids are loving. They love me. Is there anything sweeter than two small sticky hands on your cheeks and a little face so close to yours your eyes can't quite focus on it, and a small voice that can't enunciate all the words telling you with peanut butter breath, "Mom, you have my heart". Yes, Axel does say that to me. But I did teach it to him, as a survival skill. It completely melts me. Sewing can't do that. So here are some videos of my perfect mundane life.

Sorry the sound isn't that great.

The last word is 'hassle'. Get your mind out of the gutter.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Maybe I can take one of your kids for a while, I've been a little bored lately and I'm sick of cleaning and cooking and could use an excuse not getting my stuff done! Teagan's 2-3 hour naps aren't working very good as excuses. :) I love your attitude.

Brenda said...

I love to read your blog. It always brings a smile to my face. You are a witty mama. Have a happy week!

stacey said...

lish! that blog was awesome. it is good to know that someone else goes through the same things as you as a mom. we do have to change your thinking and just like the scriptures say, there is a time and season for all things. maybe right now it is not the time for sewing and fun "not mom things". i feel the same way. if you do find a system, please email me RIGHT away.

Heidi and Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi and Matt said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember when you got married and your man sang that awesome song for you! I am laughing so hard right now, I love the blowout story, isn't it always at the best time! I love that you have so many hobbies besides kids--I think it makes for a better momma!

The Lewis Family said...

Happy Anniversary, they seem to come and go quickly, very quickly. And wow that BM accident, I would have been looking around like, "Um, a little help here." But only too embarassed to ask for help! EEK...

I've heard that you don't get much done when you have kid-o's. I can only imagine what it will be like for Jonathan and myself? I guess that's why they say, "A mom's work is NEVER done." But I suppose spending time with our little ones, in the end, is more fullfilling (in some way).

so when are you guys going to come down to visit us? you can add that to your long list of to do's :)

Steve y Ana said...

Hi Alisha!
That was a great blog...I only have one (do you guys really want 7!!!), but I can't get anything I want to do for myself done...I guess we just have to be content like you said..I keep telling myself that...Stacey is right, it's nice to see that other moms go through the same stuff. I feel so incompetent sometimes =))

Blake said...

I was totally following you until you said Paul was funny and hot and all that. Don't let anyone tell you you aren't the supermom that you are. You guys are awesome. You got me laughing so hard with all your named strategies for getting stuff done because I know you well and you totally DO all of them. I've tried to learn each of them from you, but I'll never be a supermom (dad).

Julie said...

I love to read your blog too! I love that you looked at the blowout as a blessing! And I am so glad to hear you like Arrested Development! We kept hearing about it and finally started watching episodes (also on Hulu) and it is just so good!

Rachel said...

Ah-ha! I found your blog! I didn't know you had your very own blog. I love ya Beesh!

Emily said...

Alisha, I love you. Only you could see a puddle of poo on your skirt as a gift from Heavenly Father (although now that I think about it, our Stake Primary meetings are not my fave. Perhaps I will be praying for a similar gift too.) I hope you did get a better gift from your hubby though.

You are an awesome mom. I'm so glad we had the chance to see you guys in Vegas. Can't wait until we're all living closer and our get togethers aren't months apart!!!

Emmy