June 14, 2009

Audio books

Paul got me an MP3 player which I use to listen to books while running, doing laundry, cleaning, and any other task which requires my hands but not my brain. I've realized that I'm a more sensitive listener than reader. The book has to be pretty clean or it's not worth it. I've listened to Shiloh, a book about a civil war battle that took place in TN; The Wedding, a mushy below average book about new love in an old marriage; The Constant Princess, a historical novel about Queen Katherine of Aragon which has been my favorite so far; Uglies/Pretties/Special, Teen Sci Fi that wasn't deep but did soften the work of uprooting evergreen bushes; and I just started Tar Baby by Toni Morrison who is my current favorite author. I hope it's amazing. I'll let you know.
Cleaning the kitchen has never seemed so effortless, and scrubbing poo out of clothes has never required so little attention. It is my secret to happiness while cleaning, etc. And the mental decline I've been experiencing has been curbed. Perhaps you'll notice in my posting.
I'd love book suggestions. Have any?

6 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

Right now I'm reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It's really good. I think Paul would like it, too. There's something very Peace Like a River about it.

Julie said...

One summer I listened to a bunch of audiobooks by Lois Lowry and LOVED them--The Giver, The Messenger, and one other that I can't remember but they are all really good!

Unknown said...

Jurrassic Park, Prey, or anything Michael Crighton? -- FANTASTIC.
P.S. I know its late but we are having talks about Ned's dating life and so I thought I'd read your blog.

Heidi & Pona said...

Paul really looks half black in the picture to the right of this post. It's quite amazing. He's like trans-racial.?

Alisha said...

Heidi, he has a black man's lips and he permed his hair once into an afro and he really looked half black.

Annie, I now have Audio Sawtelle reserved at the library.

Mags said...

any of carl hiasans books are perfect time passers. also if you like thriller/dramas id go with harlen cobin. emmy and i are addicted to books on tape. freaking addicted::)