October 29, 2009

I am sad, sad I am

Well it has been an emotional few days. The details are very exciting and very scandalous, but I'm too tired to write about it. I'll just take you to the end.
We decided to move.
I went rental house hunting and became discouraged because the only thing we can afford are disgusting big houses, or crackerbox nice houses.

Then we found a house that has hardwood floors, immaculate bathrooms, modern kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, lots of windows, plenty of room for all of us, fenced backyard, and a garage. AND is actually definitely in our budget. I was shocked. We immediately filled out an application and gave them a deposit.
Unfortunately we were 10 minutes too late. The people who left AS we were pulling up, had just applied and given them a deposit.
I was still hopeful that somehow we might still get it.

Then our landlord said that our neighbor was definitely moving out regardless of whether we stayed or not. Good news.

But we decided if we got this house we would still move.

I couldn't help myself. I imagined where all our furniture would go and how lovely it would be to have another family over for dinner and actually have enough room for all of us around the table, and how it's so close to Axel's school I would have 1 hour more a day. I heard the children laughing and pictured us sitting all together for family home evening. I pictured the children chasing each other while I browned hamburger. Paul would come home and we would marvel at how lucky we were.

So I hoped and I envisionioned and I even decided to test the 'law of attraction' my mother is always bearing her testimony to me about. For all morning with butterflies I listened for the phone to ring and for the leasing agent to tell us that we got it. And it rang and it wasn't him, about 4 times. And then there was a special ring and it rang into my jittering bones. And I just knew that somehow the stars would align and he would tell me that something happened with the other people and when could we move in. "I've just approved that other couple."

I have friends who are loaded and have beautiful homes, but it doesn't make me sad. The reason I'm sad is because I saw what I could have right now with my money and it was such a deal, and it would virtually transform my daily life.

And don't get me wrong, we've been happy here. There's plenty of room for us. There are enough kitchen cabinets, old beautiful wood molding, 3 closets in our bedroom, big front porch with a swing on it, and it even came with a perfect neighbor who didn't care how loud our kids were at 6:00 am. See lots of good things.

There are other, less than good things too. Eternally funky bathroom, slanted floors every which way, linoleum peeling up at the corners, 1960's fixtures, endless spiders (I tell myself that it's Halloween festive), old house smell when I'm not burning a candle. I was ok with all that, because I didn't know I could have anything better.

And here it was, a perfectly good reason to move and wouldn't you know that an absolutely perfect house came up, and I missed it by 10 minutes.

And it's pointless to think of what might be.

And I'll be happy tomorrow, maybe even tonight. And even as my heart is sad I know that I am ungrateful. But I think it's ok as long as it doesn't last until tomorrow.

So we're staying. We and the spiders, and it'll be Halloweeny.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

You said weeny... tee hee :)
sorry bout the house situation.

Heidi Sitake said...

that sucks the duck as I say. so sad

Angie said...

Right before Jake and I moved into the house we're in now, Jake went to an auction for a house that was "perfect" for us. We were so incredibly disappointed when he was outbid. We even tried to negotiate with the guy later. Then, we found this house and I have lost count how many times we've said we're glad the other deal didn't work out. It happened for a reason. :)

McEwen Family said...

Such a bummer!!! Isn't weird how you totally know something is for you...it's perfect and you can picture how everything should be, to the point where it's so real, and when it doesn't work out you still feel like it should somehow...I share your pain, been there. You'll find something better :)

sallyavena said...

I know how you feel. So sad. Here's to something better coming your way! We went through almost the same thing with our crazy south of the border neighbors, thought we were going to move, ended up missing out on a great deal, decided to stay and the people that moved in next ended up having kids the same age as ours and becoming good friends of ours (they were doing a renovation of their house), so something good came of it all. You never know.

HeatherM said...

oh alisha the SAME thing happen to me. It was a rental in downtown denver with a 100 year old fireplace mantel, one whole wall was brick... so nice, in our price range, a nice short walk to work for Jesse. We only wanted a 6 month lease they wanted a year I was willing because I LOVED it.

I was one phone call late!

I am sorry I feel it too

The Blandon's said...

We have slanted floors in our rental too. But I kind of like it. If you ever drop anything on the floor that rolls, it always rolls to the same corner of the house - a guarantee not to loose it! Also if you spill water, you can catch it faster b/c you will always know which way it will go - which can be mistaken for faster than normal reflexes!
Only for a season right? One day we will have houses that don't give you vertigo when you walk through them...