October 23, 2009

Today, I'm a Southern wife



Today I feel like saying in a thick Southern accent, whilst wearing an old Southern dress, "Why it awys be me that doin' the standin' up in aur famly? Ain't you a mane? Go hide yo face in de hospitle, and I'll faught aur battles fo us. Thank the Good Lawd, He give me nuf backbone ta pr'tect aur chi-ren, if'n you too skeerd to o-fend."

Paul would respond, bearded and with thundering voice, "Woman, why you thank its yo biznez to cuntrol er-body? You awys talkin down, thanking you knowed everythang. If'n I wadn't heer to smooth ova yo messes, sombudy dun aready blowed yo big hed off."

Paul and I disagree about how to deal with our upstairs neighbor who accidentally shot off his rifle and blew a hole in the house.

After a bad conversation with Paul and a good conversation with my dad last night and a good conversation with the police this morning, and after heartfelt prayer just about constantly, I talked to our neighbor. And after he asked me if I know what the 2nd ammendment was, and "don't tell me what to do with my guns", and after I assured him I knew he had a right to his guns, (though I wish he didn't because he is often drunk) and I wasn't trying to tell him what to do, but just trying to have a conversation - he offered to take all his guns out to his storage unit. At which time, I almost cried. He even said, "I'll get 'em out by tomorrow. You can come check if you want." And I said thank-you I would like to check. I'm making bread today and will make sure to run him a loaf.

Crisis averted, we didn't have to move out or get in a nasty fight about what's fair. I hope all continues as planned.

As terrible as it is, I'm sure it didn't hurt at all that he thinks I'm pretty and tells me all the time. And as terrible as it is, I won't lie and say I didn't use it to my advantage and make sure to look him in the eye and tell him how important to me it was that his guns be someplace else and 'thank you, that means a lot to me'. It would've been a lot harder if he were a younger man. He reminds me of my sweet old uncle who is a Viet Nam vet too.

6 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

Them thar are fightin' words!

I'm interested in how you each propose to handle the situation.

S.A.R. said...

I support you using your hot looks to butter him up. Combine that with a hot loaf of homemade bread and I'm pretty sure he'd never touch a gun again if you asked.

Ya'll don't git into trouble now. Y'hear?

Heather Thomas said...

A friend of mine had a room mate shoot a hole in the closet through all of his clothes. The landlord kicked the gunman out. I'm glad you got it resolved fairly peacefully.

Julie said...

I love it. You've still got it Alisha!

sallyavena said...

Yikes! Not sure what I would have done, but it sure makes my grumbling over our loud, partying till 3 Mexican upstairs neighbors seem rather trite. They didn't pay rent for 2 months and got kicked out. Maybe he'll have to move...or has he been there long?

Heidi & Pona said...

what the psychopath? who accidentally shoots their gun. We have a gun and most definitely don't accidentally shoot it in the house. I think you were really nice. That's scary. Sheesh!