July 27, 2010

My vision, realized.

Before.

Notice how damaged and scratched the wood is.

Strip all fabric, 1/2 inch cardboard strips, and batting.


Tape off, so just the wood shows.
Sand, chemically strip (with a toothbrush, people), stain, rub-on polyurethane.

Cut out all the fabric pieces.

Make 34 yards of welting.

Sew the front pieces together with their single welting.

Working one piece at a time, put the batting on, trim.


Stretch upholstery on. Staple. Staple cardboard trim, to make nice tight corners.

Pat yourself on the back.
Repeat for back. This time, using your scrap fabric (sometimes it comes in handy to have a cupboard full of fabric I can't throw away) before the batting.
Glue on double welting.

Make cushion: cut foam, glue on batting, make cover, assemble. No pictures.

Finished.

Admire the lines.

Admire the clean fabric against the rich and smooth wood.

Stand in awe that anyone would have thrown out this gem. (Remember I pulled this out of the dumpster.)

Sit.

At this point you may be saying, "Alisha why would you upholster in bright white when you have three small children?" Well I wish I could answer, "My children don't make messes and they respect my things."
The truth is, I love love love decorating in color. Bright, bold, invigorating color. The bad thing is, my color taste changes every 3 years - I've discovered. I don't want to buy a new couch every three years. So I've decided to have white and maple wood, and walnut wood be my staples. All long term furniture will be in these, and everything else will change. A white couch and a white piano means that you can paint your wall bright without being too circusy. Now imagine bright, bold patterned pillows on that couch. Bright curtains, colorful art. You might need a few big white pieces to offset all that color.
The trouble is, how could I possibly have a white couch? I looked at many white couches, and at the upholstery fabric they used. All the ones I saw were slip covers, so you could take them off and bleach the cover. That would not work for my couch.
And then I found......


And I fell in love. Completely waterproof, practically impossible to stain. So durable it was first only for commercial furniture (like in doctor's waiting rooms). I covered my two side chairs in crypton first, to live on it for a few months before I invested all that money. Chocolate, ketchup, boogers, all wipe off like I was wiping it off the counter. But somehow, it's soft fabric. Worth every penny. So I saved my pennies, I waited for the 50% off-home-dec JoAnn's fabric sale, I waited for the coupon that would give me 10% more percent off, and I special ordered my beautiful, snow white, indestructible crypton. Unfortunately, despite my strict rules for the couch, it's already gotten dirty, and it came clean effortlessly.

13 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

I AM IN LOVE!

[AnnieR] said...

P.S. - I will be asking for monthly updates on the cleanliness of this fabric. I want to see if it continues to live up to its hype, because I do love me some white furniture. So don't be surprised when after we chat about how each other families are doing, I bust out a "And how is your couch doing?"

[AnnieR] said...

P.P.S. - And don't you just want to drive up to the people's dumpster you got it out of with pictures of this beautiful couch and show them what they missed out on? I had that feeling when I found myself standing next to Go's old girlfriend in the check out lines at Smith's right after we got engaged. She had ripped out his heart and stomped on it. I wanted to turn around and wag my ringed finger in her face and shout "Suckaaaaah!"

Alisha said...

updates will be forthcoming. It's only fair.

Alisha said...

And you should have said that to Go's girlfriend. It would have been soooo memorable... for you and the girl.

the youngs said...

It is even better than I could have ever dreamed! I saw it in the "stripped" stage and thought...holy cow, Alisha, how are you ever going to make this thing beautiful?! And you made it oh-so-much more! Congrats on a perfect project.

S.A.R. said...

Alisha, I am so impressed. I can only imagine what a beautiful couch like that would sell for at a furniture store. It's perfect! And brilliant! And though student housing doesn't allow us to bring in a single piece of our own furniture and won't for another 2-3 years, I too will want to know how this fabric holds up. I have been dreaming of what I want to do with furniture for a long time. You are the upholstery guru.

Brenda said...

You're my hero. How do you do it all with three small children and a bun in the oven? Speaking of the little bun... when are we gonna get some new cute pregnant belly pictures? I'm patiently waiting :)

Julie said...

Wow. That is incredible. Seriously, a gorgeous sofa and YOU are superwoman!!

The Blandon's said...

You are amazing. I have 2 chairs I have been reupholstering since last Nov. I have one finished and half started the other. It's taking me so long to complete. You are inspiring, and I now have the desire to get back to work on them... maybe...

sallyavena said...

You are amazing! Do you want to come and help me with my re upholstering projects?

Cori and Dusty said...

I am in awe.

nickel... said...

My jaw is dropped! I am SO impressed and now quite intrigued with said Crypton! I just got all caught up on you! I hadn't been to your blog in a while.

Congrats on baby 4!

Word on the street is that you might be coming to Vegas in August? Long enough trip to incorporate some friend time?