June 29, 2008

My family

Recently Axel and Maggie have become best playmates. They chase each other around the house laughing hysterically. Maggie likes to do everything Axel likes to do, and Axel make's sure Maggie's included. He often becomes ferociously concerned when Maggie's not walking fast enough and I walk ahead. He runs in front of me and puts his hands out so I can't go and says, "Get Maggie, Get Maggie!"
She's most beautiful in chocolate.
Axel got Magnetics from Grandma Tena a month and a half ago, and he still plays with them every day. Thanks Tene!
Dad loves to make smoothies and the kids love making messes with them
Paul had a welcome picnic for his anesthesia residency. They had a big blow-up slide for the kids. Axel was the reddest and sweatiest kid there.

Lucy is a darling and we are crazy about her, especially when she's sleeping.
Doesn't she look smart?!
Axel took this picture actually. I love those surprise pictures when we download pics to the computer. Paul had sexy facial hair until the residential powers that be made him shave. They said they can't do a respirator fitting with a beard. Seems silly to me. At least he still has his head shape. Paul has the best head shape. He's given our kids nice round heads. I supply them with nice round bellies and excellent grammar. In fact Paul's getting a nice round belly too.
Paul's round belly is coming just in time for the summer cabin trip with the Reynolds. Paul is naturally thin. Add to that his disdain for overeating, and he's likely to never be overweight. Ever. A common conversation between us:
Alisha: Can I get you some more mashed potatoes?
Paul: I'm good, thanks.
Alisha: You barely had anything.
Paul: I had a lot. I'm full. Plus you know how it is when you don't eat for a while and your stomach shrinks so then you can't eat as much.
Alisha: That makes perfect sense. You haven't eaten for a long time and are starving so you don't need to eat much to get full. Don't you need more calories to make up for the lost ones?
Paul: Alisha, do you want me to overeat?
Alisha: Yes, just a little.
Paul: You know, they did a study on rats and the underfed rats lived significantly longer lives.
Alisha: You've told me about that study a billion times. Paul you are not a rat and you need more dinner. Axel ate more than you.
Paul: Now you're being ridiculous.
When we go home to see Paul's family I try especially hard to fatten him up, so everyone thinks I'm a good cook and a good wife. Almost every time we go home, some loving mother/grandmother/aunt says to me in hushed tones, "Paul looks thinner. Is he thinner?" They're concerned. And rightfully so, I'm concerned too. "No, he's not thinner, he's the same weight he's been for the last 4 years, you're just not used to seeing him." This is Marco. Most people reading this blog know Marco. She is the witty and charming matriarch of the Callister family. My work will be well rewarded when she one day asks me, "Alisha, is Paul fatter? What are you feeding him? Maybe you should put him on a diet." Marco, I add extra cream to the mashed potatoes for you.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Is this Alisha Durtschi? This is your cousin Melissa, I saw your blog from Sara's. If it isn't Alisha your kids are still extremely adorable and I can't believe you have 3! Congrats! Hopefully we'll see ya this weekend at the reunion!

Aby Runyan said...

I have the opposite problem with Jeff. He eats constantly (therefore, I am CONSTANTLY at Walmart buying food). And yet he never gains weight and looks better and better as he ages.
I on the other hand can gain weight just by looking at some chocolate and skipping the gym for a week.
Rome and Capri play really well together too, for the most part. I remember when they were Axel and Maggie's ages and they played together with nary a fight or even raised tone for HOURS. But now as they both age, and become more aware (especially Rome being the younger) they fight a lot more. Rome used to be able to play Barbies and Polly Pockets, or whatever girlie thing Capri wanted -WHENEVER she wanted. Now he'll still play but not all the time, and he'll get annoyed if all she wants to do is that. I guess what I'm saying is, soak it in while it lasts!
luvs, aby

Blake said...

I was skimming through and saw "doesn't he look smart" and then the next thing I noticed was a picture of Paul. I thought, "no, not really. Looks kind of funny with that beard, though."

McEwen Family said...

Alisha, you are so funny, I know Marco and can just imagine how you feel the need to fatten Paul up! Good luck with that. My husband is 6'3 and thin too so I understand your frustration!
Okay, you guys have the cutest kids ever! Axel has to be the most thoughtful little guy out there, I love that he looks out for Maggie, what a good boy! I also loved all the pics, Lucy looks like an angel when she sleeps!

Julie said...

It was so great to see you guys! I still can't believe you camped with 3 kids, pretty impressive!

Unknown said...

I actually have started eating less also. So I hear you Paul. Plus I think I have him beat on the skinny part. Hope to see you soon.