July 24, 2008

чорний хліб

Behold. Ukrainian Black Bread.

When I was a missionary in Ukraine, I fell in love with the food. Delicious, earthy, healthy food. One of my all time favorites was their black bread - round rye bread. I knew someone who worked in a factory where they made the bread (you could buy this delicious treat at nearly every corner). He told me how to do it, but the recipe seemed too simple to me. It seemed there was a secret he wasn't telling me. Well, when I got home, I made my family a Ukrainian dinner and tried out the rye bread. Not the same at all. I searched the internet and tried two different recipes, both were sadly disapointing. Not even close. Really, not even close.

Well, it's 6 years later and today, I finally made it. The secret: it's sourdough rye bread. Paul, who loves bread and loves me to cook bought me the bread bible: Tassajara bread book. Everything we tried has been heavenly. I decided to get brave and try my hand at sourdough bread. This was my first. It turned out beautifully. I made two big round loaves. They are perfect. I ate a quarter of one already.
I love it with sour cream. This bread is the perfect accompaniment to borscht.
And a little side post: Paul made smoothies. The kids can't drink them without the mustache and we thought that the smoothie probably tastes better with a 'stache, so we tried it. The kids had it right all along.



6 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

Hey, where's the recipe??!! I got to the end of the post expecting to find the recipe and be able to start thinking about actually making some delicious bread - but NO!
Share!
By the way, I LOVE the pics that Axel took. I bet you end up cherishing those in the future. A glimpse back at real life, that's something you just can't beat.
luvs, aby

PS - oh my goodness if you could only see the word verification I am about to attempt!

Heidi and Matt said...

You look so sophisticated with your mustaches...

Blake said...

For some reason, Paul's glasses seem to be getting bigger and his head seems to be getting smaller.

The Lewis Family said...

you guys are too silly!

Julie said...

I love reading your blog! I am so entertained! You guys are such a fun family!

The Blandon's said...

Who knew you had a blog? Well not me! Love your cute fam and I just want to squeeze your kids cheeks!