February 6, 2010

I'd like to bear my testimony...


about this soap. Axel's school uniform shirt came out of the dryer with a big ugly grease stain on it. I rubbed it down with this soap, left it over night soapy, washed in the morning, that stain was COMPLETELY gone.
Maggie got antiquing stain all over her pants, shirt, and coat. Fels-Naptha got it out.
I don't want to go as far as to say that laundry is now a pleasure, but I do think, "I wonder if it can get this out?" I feel like I'm on a commercial: (in an energetic announcer type voice) And the stain is gone!
I started making my own laundry soap, not because I'm super green, or because I like no dyes and perfumes, but because I can buy it in bulk and it doesn't take up much room and it works as my year supply while I go through it. There are not many soaps that can double as hand washing soap and washing machine soap, and this does. Plus I do like being green and babying my daughter's eczema.

The recipe:
Equal parts grated Fels-Naptha, Borax, and Washing soda. Use 2 Tbls./load. Really, that's all, and it works.

When I have a really bad stain, like the two examples above, I just rub the soap right on the clothes, and it's taken just about everything out. Blood, I still have to use oxiclean on. Nothing beats oxiclean for getting blood out.

Do you have any stain removing tips?

3 comments:

sallyavena said...

Even a squirt of a stain removal and washing soda rubbed in gets a lot of hard to get out stains out. I've been using the homemade laundry soap too and love (you should add 2 parts soda & borax per bar of soap--at least that's the recipe that I use). Now to find a homemade recipe for dish washing soap--we have a dish washer for the 1st time in 14 years and I hate spending so much on the detergent. Any suggestions?

Cynthia said...

No tips but that is what we use too! Love it but I have to come to TN to get the supplies!

Anonymous said...

Hi its robert's wife rebekah- I love the soap you featured too... But i also love to use Murphy's soap. It gets out expo markers out of clothing. Also rubbing alcohol takes out marks left by highlighters. Robert slept with a highlighter one time and it got all over our down comforters and Ralph Lauren sheets- the alcohol took right out as he rinsed it with cold water.