February 1, 2010

What have I been doing?



Well, I've been not posting. I'll show you why.

When my parents came over Christmas, my Dad and I started on the piano that's been on my to-do list for about... 4 years. Now we have a garage to do it in. My dad removed all the old 'ivory from the keys, and glued on new 'ivory'. The keys are beautiful. We took apart all the pieces of the piano that can be taken apart. Sanded down everything to bare wood. Filled in all the millions of little dings and big dents. Filled in the bald spots where veneer should be. (My dad is a genius with bondo style wood filler.) Then we hung up the pieces so we could spray them from every angle, taped off the piano, and every warm enough day, I'm out painting and sanding.


I'm to my fourth coat, and boy has there been a lot of sanding. The wood has really big pores, and I didn't prime (thanks a lot Lowe's paint guy who reassured me I wouldn't need to) so with the gloss paint I'm using the grain shows through easily. I'm having a love affair with my new paint sprayer.
Wagner 0518050 Control Spray Double Duty Paint Sprayer

However, what to do on the many days that are below 45 degrees?


Play in the snow.

Help organize a tri-ward service project making hospital gowns (among other things) for Operation Smile.
Finish those chairs I've been wanting to finish for almost a year.

Do you know that really big clamps, brand new cost about $50 each! Luckily, my thrifty brain thought up the idea to keep the clamps really clean, with the tags on and return them to Lowe's after I was done with them. Take that Lowe's-with-the-bad-paint-advice!






Looking at those chairs should give me enough umph to finish the last two (hopefully) coats of paint on that piano + fix all the failing inner workings - Paul to the rescue. He does all the technical stuff on my projects. I do all the tedious and beautification work. Such a good man.

I might try to tackle that cute little damaged wood side table next to the chairs if I need a little pick-me-up. I can't decide how to paint it. What do you think?


meera-18

High gloss yellow.
[pieces+inc+fretwork+vintage+orange+cabinet+armoire.jpg]

High gloss orange. I think the high gloss, bright color options will make it more fun and shorten it's time that I love it, but it was $10, and I'm thinking I'd like to make it pop.

A little safer option. Bright color still, but old-ified a little to make it a little less glaring.



Safe, safe. But maybe it's the best. It's more versatile. I can move it to a different room later when we move if we want. I'll probably use it longer. Let the curtains and the pillows be bright delightful colors.

Opposite the chairs I'll have a white or off-white couch. That's still to be done. And adjacent a glossy white piano. Yellow painting, other goldiness in the room. Bright throw pillows to follow in still undetermined colors, but I'm planning on bright patterns. I love Anna Marie Horner. I'm strongly leaning toward this fabric to be on at least two pillows and being my color guide in the accent colors with this predominantly blue and white room.
Anna Maria Horner Sketchbook Ivory from Drawing Room by pink chalk studio.

Opinions?

6 comments:

The Blandon's said...

I love, love, love that fabric and I love using bright colors to add a little flavor to a room. Plus - a piano - wow! That is tackling the ultimate! You inspire me!

sallyavena said...

I've been wondering what you've been up to. Such fun projects, want to come help me with mine? I say spray paint is cheap so use whatever color you want on the table and change it when you get tired of it. Did you see the pillows I did for Sara B. out of that fabric? It really makes for cute pillows that match but are different at the same time, because there is so much going on in the fabric. Have fun!

[AnnieR] said...

Opinions? But of course!

First all, LOVE the chairs. The shape are so cool. Good for you for tackling them. What purpose did the clamps serve, might I ask? Did you have to do some repair with some glue or something? I'm lame with all things wood.

Ok. So the side table. It's small enough that you could paint it really bright and it wouldn't be too much. Yellow would look great, although I have no idea what else is in the room but from the looks of it, everything else is pretty neutral so I think it would be a perfect piece to really have fun with. Besides, if you ever stop liking the yellow you could always repaint it the safer white or whatever color you wanted. I can't wait to see the finished product of the piano, by the way. Are you staining the wood? What's your end goal? We probably would have covered things such as these if I would have actually SEEN you this Christmas. Wah. Summer. Yay.

Alisha said...

Annie, the clamps were because the chairs were coming apart at two of the joints. The chairs are held together by dowel and glue. One of the reasons it took me so long to get the mojo to work on them. I knew I'd have to glue and clamp them, which was actually REALLY easy and I felt silly that I was so slow to do it. I just put glue in the crack, clamp it, thoroughly clean off the glue, unclamp. Return clamps. The other thing that had me dragging my feet is the wood was finish was in bad repair, and I was not looking forward to sanding or stripping it, all those little spindly sticks, and probably still not get it all in the corners and it would never look right and I put in a lot of work. But then a friend introduced me to tinted polyurethane, which I just put right on top and no stripping involved. Excellently easy. Good enough results. Project completed without headache.

I think I am going to paint the table one of the goldy colors in the fabric swatch. It would be bright but not neon. I think too bright and I wouldn't like it after a week. But it'll definitely be vibrant. And like you and Sally said, I can always just paint it again if I don't like it.

The piano will be gloss white. So excited. 5th coat went on today. 6th on Friday. In the house Valentine's weekend.

Carolyn said...

Hello Alisha, Here I am a stalker, commenting. I reached you via Rachel McEwen. I went to school with Go and the Reynolds clan. It's midnight, I should be asleep, but of course I'm reading the internet. I just have to tell you that I'm jealous of all your furniture refinishing work! I've got the bug for that sort of thing too. You are doing really fun things. I can't believe the piano makeover! So ambitious! That will be a cherished piece for sure. I'm glad you posted your paint sprayer. Someday I plan on getting one of my very own and a special spot just for painting! Sigh. I just finished my husband's grandparent's china hutch - which I should post soon on my blog. It only took me 3 years to finish!!! Life's crazy with kids and a resident husband (which you understand). Good luck with your pieces. Hope I didn't creep you out!

kms said...

Hi there! My name is Katryna and I was googling for a picture to use for a project. One of the pictures on your blog is perfect. Please contact me regarding permission at kstarks@gmail.com.