January 22, 2011

What I'm eating lately


Grapefruit smoothies. Grapefruits are such a great price right now and so delicious, and so packed with vitamin C in this cold/flu season. So I've been taking the tender flesh out of them, put them in the blender with a little sugar and some frozen fruit. Here pictured with frozen strawberries. Yesterday I blended 3 grapefruits, 1 orange, 2 cups frozen strawberries, and 1/4 cup sugar. Paul got this little cup, and the rest I kept for myself. I usually share it with the kids, but I gave them bananas - that's at least some fruit. Since I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for 5 of the last 7 years means I need a lot of nutrients, and yesterday I was feeling like my body needed an extra boost. And what a tasty boost. I felt like a million bucks all day.

Try some, you'll like it.

Boone liked it too.

9 comments:

Brenda said...

Quote, "Being a pregnant, breastfeeding woman." Are you trying to tell us you're pregnant?!?

Alisha said...

No, silly, I'm just a woman who has been pregnant or breastfeeding for 5 years. I come right out and say it when I'm pregnant. Of course it's obvious too, because my belly is noticeable at two months. I am excited to have another, but the time is not yet.

Cynthia said...

I was just going to ask the same thing!! Looks good. I have two in the fridge right now that I need to use. Do you just peel them like an orange and throw the skin in too?

Melissa said...

I have to admit that I have never had a grapefruit, I'm in love with smoothies though so maybe now is a good time to try grapefruit! yum.

I totally thought you pregnant too! I thought, didn't she just have one, she is on such a roll. :)

Brenda said...

Funny! I thought... wow that was quick, they aren't messing around!

Alisha said...

I have changed the post, because obviously I worded it poorly. Internet world, I am not pregnant.
And I cut the grapefruit in half and take all the fleshy sections out and leave the membranes. My mom puts in the membranes to save time. Both are good.

S.A.R. said...

This is the smoothie that cured my cold. Thanks for being my on-call nutritionist. I will pay you for your time in love and adoration.

jon and em said...

there is a possibility we'll be in town for easter ... if so, may i share one of these sweet treats with you then?

Melissa said...

We had this for breakfast and our untrained mouths couldn't handle the grapefruit! Maybe I should have started with one grapefruit and built up from there. haha. We're definitely trying this one again though. :)