January 31, 2011

Salad

baby spinach leaves
sliced pear
feta cheese
sprinkle of pecans
pinch of salt
a few cranks of black pepper
little drizzle of olive oil
smatterings of balsamic vinegar

Almost no cutting, just assembling. Delicious, healthy, fast.

Salad Soapbox:
At a restaurant you may have found yourself thinking while ordering, "let's not go crazy and just get a salad." Beware, not all salads are created equal. Be careful of the drive-through ones, or the ones at steak houses. Just because it's a salad, doesn't mean it's good for you.

Iceberg lettuce - the fourth phase of water. It does have fiber in it, but that's all.

If your salad is comprised of iceberg (romaine is a little bit better, but spinach is the only one that can be counted as doing something really good for you) lettuce, cheese, chicken, croutons, cucumber, and a tomato, you may as well get a chicken sandwich and be satisfied.
In my book a salad must have some of the following to be counted as a healthful choice:
broccoli (my favorite vegetable)
carrots
onions - green or red are my favorite
nuts
oranges
beans
olives
peppers - Sam's has them for sale 6 red,yellow, orange peppers for $7. Wow.
avocado - has three times as many nutrients as most other high nutrient vegetables
RIPE tomatoes - I have a theory I haven't looked into, that unripe tomatoes don't have near as many nutrients and that's why they don't taste like anything, cause they don't have anything.

So when I go to the drive through I skip the salad, get a burger and really enjoy it. And get my veggies at home.

And fries don't count as veggies, though I have tried to convince myself that if I put on enough ketchup, maybe the combo will count?

No it doesn't count.

4 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

So true, so true.

Go + bell peppers = not good. Sad.

Brenda said...

So I just read up on your hypothesis and I found: Red, ripe tomatoes have more Vitamin A and Green tomatoes have more protein. There's some food for thought for you... hahaha. Great looking salad btw. I love spinach salads too!

Melissa said...

I love the way you write, it makes me laugh and I totally agree with you! I just wish that spinach was crunchier, I love the crunch of romaine, maybe a combo...

Here is a thought. Did you know that you can replace the oil in salad dressings with corn starch and water? I tried it for the first time tonight after being super skeptical for about 8 months and none of us could tell the difference! The recipe was for vinegar, s&p, sugar, and oil and I didn't have oil so I just switched it out and we still loved it. (I guess it does take more time though because you have to heat it up).

the youngs said...

So, a wedge of iceberg drenched in blue cheese dressing with croutons isn't good for me???? ;)