December 12, 2012

Sense of community

It's been lacking.  Because I've decided not to document my complaints in the never-to-be-erased and able-to-be-read-by-everyone-ever internet, I'm not going to relay the many disappointing events/places we've gone to the last 5 months.  Let's just say, Vegas has been everything I thought it would be.


BUT, I'm writing this post, because I think that's about to change.  My ward recently started a playgroup and today, one of the moms told me about community centers.  They seem to be the bomb.  You can get 6 1-hour swimming lessons for $25.  You can get 8 tae kwon do lessons for $27.  4 hip hop dance lessons for $15.  This is just what I've been looking for.  Also the Springs Preserve (which is a desert botanical garden plus museum) had a composting class that I loved loved loved.  I'll be composting soon.


These things make me happy because they make me feel a sense of  community with the people around me.  I really really loved the Nashville community feeling we had at the school, and when I was at the library, and listening to the radio, and even at the gas station.  I felt connected to all the people around me.  Though I didn't realize it until we moved and I noticed the community void in my little heart.


I've been trying to fill the community line in my happiness cup, and have come up dry.   (I'm so witty.)  But I am hopeful that these community centers and playgroup and Springs Preserve and that nice check-out lady at Walmart who sounds just like Lisa Simpson will help me feel like I am part of this city and like it's worth being a part of.  (Yes I do feel all the people who don't live here smirking at this moment.  Keep it to yourself.  My happiness depends on it.)

And I came upon a trade I can live with.
I had a day of mourning when I went to the best fabric store in Vegas and it was nothing close to Textile Fabric.  I cried in the car about it.  I didn't even know fabric was that important to me until that moment.


BUT, there is a great place to buy wood here - Peterman Lumber.  And I have a delightful project I'm working on, to be published on this very humble blog in a few days made out of 1.5 inch thick maple wood.

Isn't she a beautiful wood?  Brace yourself.

They also carry zebrawood.  I've already made a plan in my mind for a gorgeous bedside table for Paul.
So masculine.

Wish me luck in Vegas!

2 comments:

Emily said...

This makes me so, so happy. Love you and LOVE having you here!! I can testify that the community centers are amazing. Both of my girls are in their dance program, and we've tried their karate, gymnastics, summer camps, a little bit of everything. And we've enjoyed everything that we've signed up for. Can't wait to see your furniture reveals. What I saw you working on in your garage already looked spectacular!

Emmy

Brenda said...

Here's to community! Cheers!