September 28, 2010

Guitar frame

So, I really want music to be appreciated in our home. Which is why we have a music room. And in order to encourage music, I've decided to decorate with it. I know, I know, normal people would just play the piano or guitar, but I have to beautify them, and then look at them more than play them. But playing them is phase two of my plan. Paul used to play the guitar. He actually played a lovely little number at our wedding. But since that time 7+ years ago, the guitar has come out of it's case about 10 times. I figured that if it was in plain sight maybe he would play it. Maybe I would print music and say, "You play it, I'll sing it. It'll be more fun than watching TV". But without it in plain sight, it would probably stay in mint condition in its lovely case, under our bed.
I know there are little stands you can buy, but I wanted the guitar out of immediate reach of the children, for obvious reasons. And I discovered that you can hang them on the wall. Well, if I'm going to put it on the wall, I want it to look like art and not an afterthought. And I've had this picture on my mind for a few years.
I thought it was quite intriguing to cover the wall in sheet music. So I've come up with.....


I call it, a guitar frame. Catchy name. Yes I even purchased a picture light for it.

I did a super duper mod podge of John Lee Hooker music. No he doesn't have any special meaning to our family, but his music looked very beautiful to the eye, plentiful notes, and guitar plucking, not just piano. Also his lyrics are pretty nondescript. Like, baby baby I miss you, come on, lovin...... So not very distracting. Thank you used book store. I mod podged it to handypanel? Forget the name. It's super dark brown, kind of like thin really strong MDF.

The frame is actually crown molding that I bought, painted, glued (liquid nails really is liquid nails - never used it before - very impressed) directly onto the music board. I looked into a real frame, and one like I wanted with lots of swirlies, for this huge of a frame, would've been around $200. But this cost me $24.
Then purchased an excellent guitar hanger and put the screws through the board into the wall. It's actually really big.
So the reclaimed barn wood is to make a table top for an old sewing table that will sit below the guitar and have out records and record player on it.
I've done a little planing already

and it is hard work. How hard, you ask.
Hard. This one might take me a while.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Great job! Can we get a belly picture... please? I really like the sweaty face picture, but I wanna see the bun in the oven too :)

vfg said...

masonite?
Dear Alisha: we should have been better friends when I lived in Nashville because you are crazy awesome. love, Valerie

Cynthia said...

Oh my! I love to see what you do. I should have you come to my house! Guitars have multiplied at our house. I'd have to do a whole wall!

They used to call it masonite but now they call it hard board. We use it for art boards at our house. A place where we can paint and draw and not ruin the table.