September 22, 2010

I like big butts... I really do

So my latest project is complete, but I cannot post a picture of it, because it's not hanging up yet because I decided that IF I'm going to paint the music room, I want to do it before I hang this on the wall. I have my paint color chosen. I've convinced Paul that he should be ok with me doing it especially because Behr flat enamel paint is $17 a gallon right now. I'm waiting for my landlord's approval. I really, really, hope he lets me paint.

This morning I drove 30 minutes outside of Nashville to purchase some reclaimed barn wood for my next project. Yes, I said reclaimed barn wood. I am so excited. The man who sold it to me was very kind and wanted to make sure I didn't hurt myself, being gigantically pregnant and hauling around big pieces of wood.

And as I slid those boards in the van next to the kids, for whatever reason, I noticed my hands, and my arms. And I thought, I love my body. I love that my body allows me to lift a heavy board if I want to lift a heavy board. I love that if I tell my body to run up stairs, it will. My body enables me to make things I want to make. My body provides me with many sensory pleasures, of which chocolate pudding is my current favorite. And in a society where it's very cool to bad talk your body, I'd like to have a thankful-for-my-body revolution. I will start with a list of all the awesome things about mine.

My body almost never gets sick. Especially if I'm eating my fruits and veggies.
My body has broad, thick shoulders, which gives me a lot of leverage in sparring and in lifting objects, children, etc.
My hair is usually shiny.
My hands are strong.
I almost always feel energetic.
My brain is really good at memorizing random facts I find interesting.
I almost never get headaches anymore. Thank you body!
My body does great pregnant, especially the last two trimesters.
My body produces excellent and abundant milk for my hungry offspring.
My heart is strong and increases in strength quickly when I exercise it.
My body is fairly flexible, and I have no constant pains.
My body craves fruits and vegetables and not candy. That's one of my favorites.
My body falls asleep easily most nights.

I could go on.

In 7 weeks and 1 day when the baby is out, and I am looking in the mirror at the damage caused to my body, and I yo-yo from sad to furious about what I see there (I know this because it's happened every post pregnancy so far), I am going to look back at this list and hopefully feel grateful for my body. Because in all the really important things, my body comes through for me. Love for my body is not based on it's appearance (how shallow), but based on it's ability to be a vehicle for my spirit, enabling me to experience and learn.

I love my body. It is a gift from God and from my parents (thank's for the shoulder's, Dad, and the veggie cravings, Mom). After all it's done for me, bringing up the cellulite on the back of my thighs, or the relief society arm I'm packin', seems petty.

I encourage all of you to join my revolution and be grateful for your amazing body. Which means, fuel your body appropriately, exercise it, and don't bad talk it. Even when your friends are bad talking theirs.

Because being thankful, is a good way to be.

Please feel free to leave a comment about your incredible body.

3 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

In reference to your request for body comments, please see your title for this post.

What are you making out of barn wood? I'm on the edge of my seat.

Alisha said...

Annie, your butt is the best. I've always been happy that such an excellent bottom went to someone who is so grateful for it, and to someone whose husband is grateful for it.

You'll have to wait and see about the barn wood. It's a surprise.

Mac and Julie Reynolds said...

I heart this post. Ironically, my love for my body has grown since I had Rushton. Like you said, not because of the amazing post-baby flab and stretch marks, but because my body can create, grow, deliver, nurture a perfect little baby is AMAZING.

So I am most thankful that my body is healthy and capable of baby-making. Go bodies!!