October 27, 2010

Record Table

The table is done. I love it. The green is the natural color of the poplar wood. It will probably turn brown with time.

Here's some old wood that I cut off, before planing. What a gorgeous transformation.


The sewing table base was left in our garage in our last house and our landlord said I could have it. 1 1/2 years later, my vision for it is finally realized.

I tried to leave some of the rough elements of the wood, like the saw mark on the front edge.


I love the nail holes and bark.


I glued it together with a spline. You can see that my planing was not that excellent. But I figure it's ok because it a rustic table.


Special thanks to my mom for helping me plane. Seriously, what kind of awesome mother agrees to plane when she visits instead of being treated to all the excitement of Nashville? You're the best.

The planer was my grandfathers. Thanks Grandpa. It still works!

And thanks to Paul who supported me through all the unmade dinners, and even did the sanding. I could say thank you for helping me cut the table top, but really we just fought about how to do it correctly and I was reminded once again why you and I and table saws don't mix. But you did look fantastic in those goggles.

3 comments:

vfg said...

It's beautiful.

What was your wood source?
I missed that

Alisha said...

Reclaimed barn wood from a guy in I found on Craigslist on the outskirts of nashville

[AnnieR] said...

Cool table! Now where's Boone?