June 5, 2011

Morals

I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks lately, while I'm cleaning or sewing or cooking. It's nice. I'm listening right now to 'The Paris Wife'
which is a book about Ernest Hemingway's first wife (he had four). I'm about half way through the book.

I recently finished a book called "The Namesake"
This one is about an Indian boy, born in the US, very American, but his parent's are very Indian. He feels lost between the two cultures. The writing was absolutely beautiful. Honestly, I don't know if I've experienced writing this good since 'Beloved' (my favorite book in the whole world). However I didn't love it. I kept thinking I would. How could I not with such art in word form and such a great topic. What it was lacking was morals. The main character seemed to lack morals. This was especially bothersome to me, because I consider him someone who should've had morals. Growing up with parents who had a strong moral compass of right and wrong, and no doubt taught him. But there was a definite lack of God, though his parents must've had religious convictions. Right?
Anyway the Hemingway book seems to be lacking in morals too. Characters in both books engage in adultery very nonchalantly. And yes there are consequences for the characters that they don't like. But even those are experienced with relative indifference. I would experience those consequences with months of crying and torn heart and despair and anger and guilt and upheaval.
Similarly their joys are experienced as if hearing music through a closed door, ear to a glass. You can tell it's beautiful, but you miss the piercing of the instruments. You cannot feel it, rising beside your heart. Perhaps it's just the writing of the authors, but it gives me pause to think.

Do lack of morals result in shallow feelings?

I have to contrast these works with Jane Eyre. Which I LOVED. Didn't expect to love it as much as I do, but wow. It's a classic for a reason. She is perhaps the most morally strict character I've read about. Right up there with Hester Prynne. Both of these women experienced their pain and happiness so acutely. Both obsessed over the consequences of choices before they made them. The other characters seemed numb and thoughtless by comparison.

So, even though you may not have read the books, thoughts? I wish I was at a book club right now. Do having and adhering to morals (whatever they may be, so long as you believe there is a right and wrong and you should do the right) make you feel things more intensely? Does having a what-I-feel-like-doing-is-a-good-thing-to-do attitude make you less deeply feel repulsion, relief, betrayal, safety, hope, bitterness? And if that attitude does dull the feelings, should those people feel like they're missing out on something in the human experience?

Hopefully I'm not too bizarre or offensive here. I'm so curious about what you think.

I agree with what Alisha says. My proof is in my favorite book of all time: Peace Like a River. If you haven't read it I suggest you do. The dad in the book is an example of a character with great morals. --This portion is written by Paul in response to Alisha's post.

6 comments:

sallyavena said...

I've been thinking about this a lot, but in the term of kids books. Certain books have started to bug me, when I read them through the eyes/ears of my kids, so I've been on a quest to find good kids/young adult books that have characters that have morals. There are a lot of floofy books that are neiter showing morals or poor judgement out there for kids, which kind of bugs me in and of itself. But the thing that really bugs is that there seem to be more of the latter than the former. Kids that lie, sneek around, disobey rules, etc. seem to be the norm in books now a days. I find myself pre-reading books and asking myself if I would want my kids reading these books before I recommend them.

Melissa said...

I've noticed the exact same thing! I think you've hit the nail on the head, with books at least. I'd have to ponder the way morals play into real life. I'm with Sally, children's books display some of the worst morals, it drives me crazy!

Brady + Marsha said...

It is hard for me to feel anything when reading about characters without morals, so I would have to believe that they feel similar. I totally agree with your thoughts and am so glad you enjoyed Jane Eyre. I am reading it for the kabillionth time, well maybe not that many, but it never gets old for me.

Julie said...

I think that is so insightful! I have never thought of morals that way, but it makes complete sense. Think of this: when you lose your moral compass (because I think everyone starts with one) you lose the light of Christ and the whisperings of the Spirit. You can become numb. Just a religious take on it, but don't you think morals are awesome when you think of it that way? When you cam experience joys more fully when they are followed?

Also, I hate books and movies without morals. I think it drives Mac crazy sometimes. ;) it's why I hated Benjamin Button. (I know, gasp).

Also, Jane eyre and peace like a river are truly, truly two of the greatest books of all time.

Cori and Dusty said...

I wish I was in a book club with you! Fabulous conversation topic. Too much to write about though.

Brendy said...

I think what you have said is very insightful. Everyone has the light of Christ when they come into this world. If they live in such a way to destroy that sweet conscience then they have to destroy some of their ability to feel deeply. It just makes sense. and for you mothers out there. Look for older books before it was politically incorrect to teach morals. There used to be good books.