July 13, 2011

No more veggies!

Aliens have not taken over my body, and I wouldn't have believed it if you told me two weeks ago, but I've eaten enough veggies for a while.  In our farm share we've gotten A LOT of greens.  When we'd decided we had enough was when we got turnip greens.  They were awful.  The first bite wasn't good, but it got worse and worse the more we ate it.  Paul and I are not picky eaters, but we really really hated those turnip greens.  It was like the bad taste wouldn't go to the stomach with the greens, it just stayed in your mouth building, bite after bite.  I couldn't finish mine.  Paul's face was turning red.  It broke us. 
When it gets hot outside all I want to eat is fruit and salad, and fruit salad.  But really all I wanted that whole week when we had a fridge full of greens (not lettuce people, greens for cooking) was fresh peaches.  Peaches that juice down your chin.  Peaches that fill your house with sweet goodness.  Peach pie, peach tart, peaches and cream.  That's all I wanted.  For a whole week when I thought of food, I only wanted peaches.

I called the orchard every day, and every day I heard the message that they were closed to let the red haven peach ripen, but to call back tomorrow and maybe they'd be ready.  I had a bajillion things to do, but I was ready to drop all of it the second those peaches were ready.  Finally on Friday, I heard in a beautiful country southern drawl, the message, "Wur open fir peaches.  U-pick is niney cents a pound."  And I got the kids in the car and we were there by 8:30.  We got 1 1/2 bushels.  I was in peach heaven for two days.  We ate so many peaches, including cookie crusted peach cheesecake tart.  I made 17 jars of jam, 10 jars of syrup, and new this year....  12 jars of peaches.  
It is so delicious.  I didn't intend to take a bite out of the bread, but while I was getting new batteries for the camera, I couldn't help myself.  It is like heaven.  I think if my husband ever stopped loving me I could keep him here with the bread and jam.  It's very satisfying.  He's thanked me 4 times already today.

If I can scrounge up enough money, I'll get another bushel this month for more canned peaches, and for two new recipes I'm dying to try: tomato peach salad


and for more peachy goodness before they're gone.

And last week the farm redeemed themselves with a big huge bunch of basil, with which we made margarita pizza.  And this week, everything we got was excellent, except for the wild blackberries, which are so deceitful.  For dinner we devoured a golden crown watermelon, corn on the cob, basil tomato mozarella salad.  And for tomorrow's breakfast, whole wheat zucchini bread with double zucchini.  It's delicious.  I snitched some.

After the peach extravaganza, I might even be able to eat the collard greens in the fridge.


2 comments:

sallyavena said...

I'm with you on the turnip greens. I think for me I get turned off right at the smell. The old lady above us years ago made them all of the time. Not fun when you are pregnant. I've never even wanted to try them.
As for the peaches, give us a call when you go next time. I would love to know where this upick farm is.

Rachel said...

Beesh! You are a riot. Way to eat local girl! I dare you to drink a smoothie with those turnip greens blended in. Mmmmmm....fight the gag reflex baby!