March 16, 2012

Old jars

I love old jars.  I use them as cups.  A few years ago, we were running low on cups and I was feeling like I didn't want to buy more, and I was emptying a spaghetti jar, and thought, 'well that looks like a cup'.  So I started saving them.  When my family came at Christmas, my mom saw what I was doing, and decided that I needed REAL cups, so she went out and bought 8.  There are 2 left.  They broke.  We drop cups a lot.  When you drop a jar that was made to withstand boiling, and transport across the country, that jar doesn't break.  I've only had one break, and it was when the kids put it full of water in the freezer.

 I use them to organize my art supplies, they're perfect for colored pencils, markers, paintbrushes, tubes of paint, I even put little office supplies in jars.  It's clear, so you can see what you're looking for.  

I store soup, salad dressing, smoothies, fruit toppings in them.  I love them for giving food away in.  Especially soup, I love to give soup, but it is a beast to transport.  But not if you put it in a few free jars!

I hope to collect enough Walmart brand salsa jars to create this:
Wouldn't that look beautiful over an outdoor farm table?

Don't tell Paul.  He doesn't want me to pack any jars in the move.  I might have to pack a few of those, without him knowing.  They're made to withstand transport!

1 comment:

Heidi Sitake said...

that is cute. we just made these to decorate for new beginnings. just made me think of it.
http://undermypolkadotumbrella.blogspot.com/2009/12/glass-jar-lantern.html